Friday, June 24, 2011

123-Reg - Problem resolved, but core issues remain

As of this morning, I now have 4 working websites, with 4 separate webhosting packages - effectively back to where I started over two weeks ago - except the packages I now have are better and allow the use of Wordpress.

So, overall I am better off, but I would have preferred not to have had the inconvenience and hassle of this whole experience.

In the end, 123-reg did the right thing, sorted it out and apologised.  However, looking at some of the comments I have received after writing this blog and describing my experiences on Twitter, I think 123-reg still have some significant issues with their products and services. 

1 comment:

Graham said...

123-reg.co.uk have never had the greatest customer support, it has to be said. The frustrating thing at the moment is that their new packages are actually a giant leap forward for them after years of lagging behind and makes them a reasonably attractive proposition again. Nowhere do they mention that their existing customers paying exactly the same price for a package with exactly the same name as the new ones don't get the new features, and indeed it would seem impossible to find out information about anything but the new packages. Indeed the existing customers are paying more rather than the same for less as they don't get a free domain name.

The one thing I do have access to is domain mapping. That is an attractive feature for a low end package. However I found the same as you - the domains could just not be found. I was told the problem was that I needed to use their nameservers on external domains but I think that is nonsense, it is either just broken or doesn't work on the old packages.

The other classic is the self-diagnosis tool. That told me my domain wasn't pointing at my webhosting even though it has been working for years. So I humoured them and followed the steps they recommended and now it is happy with that, and instead complains I don't have any MX records even though they are fine.

I suspect the problem may boil down to their control panel no longer working quite right with the old packages.