Thursday, June 23, 2011

123-reg - The end maybe in sight

10.15 this morning I get a phone call from the Senior Technical Consultant at 123-reg, he mentions specifically he is calling because of my email to Thomas Vollrath and the catalogue of errors over the past two weeks.

He apologised profusely for the experience I have had and has offered to give me 4 seperate hosting packages - one for each domain - at no cost, to resolve this experience.  It's clear that the Shared web hosting and domain sharing package at 123-reg has some significant issues, so I agreed with him that this was probably the most reliable solution.

He was also apologetic about the way the customer service and support teams have dealt with my issues and reassured me that this is not how they want to deal with customers.

So, top marks to 123-reg for a prompt response to my blog and email, but the fact remains that it should not have had to go that far.

What was also interesting, was that he had clearly read my blog in detail and tried to respond to some specific comments that I made, for example, using a customer complaint as an opportunity to turn a negative experience into a positive one.

So, I hope the end is in sight, I've had this call - he has followed up with an email telling me what he will do, now let's wait and see if they actually follow through quickly

I hope 123-reg learn from this experience, rolling out new products and services is always difficult, but a core part of this process is not just testing that things work, but effectively preparing other parts of the business, namely technical support and customer service, to be able to deal with issues or avoid them completely.  The guy who called me freely admitted, that I should never have been offered the shared hosting package with the intended use I had outlined - if that is the case - why didn't Customer Services know this?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Thank goodness this is sorted and we haven't lost days of hard work for both of us, working on building my new website www.elitesecretarialservices.co.uk

And you know how much I appreciate all your hard work helping me to build my business

Lots of love

Theresa x o x o x

mike scott said...

I feel your pain.

Sadly 123reg have not learn't from your experience & they have not improved their customer service.

I've waited a whole month for a response from them to explain why the unlimited hosting I purchased isn't working.
They still haven't even told me the reason why.

There's no excuse for that!

Best of luck to you, I'm changing webhosts and won't be back to 123reg.

Richard Winslow said...

Thanks for the positive post. We are trying to improve things, so if anyone reading this has feedback, feel free to contact me directly, richard.winslow123-reg.co.uk