Thursday, September 28, 2006

I have been online for 12 years

Just recived an email and link to a blog post from a very old friend of mine, Vash. Vash was one of the first people I met on this strange thing called the internet and whilst we haven't been in regular contact for the past few years, I do have fond memories of making friends with people through a common interest, which was Science Fiction.

Specifically, we met in the newly formed Milliways discussion forum, dedicated to the works of that genius Douglas Adams. I made some good friends in that group, some of which, like Vash that I am still in contact with and some that I am not. But interestingly, I am in contact with a higher percentage of that group now thatn I think I would have been without the power of the interent, email etc. Living proof, if you need it, that the Internet is enabling things that have never been possible before.

p.s. In a totally serendipitous leap of surfing, writing this blog entry allowed me to discover this wonderful eulogy for the late Graham Chapman by John Cleese, briefly featuring at 1 minute and 23 seconds, the late and sorely missed Douglas Adams

p.p.s If anybody reads this and has a copy of the one hour documentary Hypertext, featuring Douglas Adamas and Tom Baker all about hypertext and micons and stuff like that - I would love to see it again.

p.p.p.s I found it myself on Google Video I recommned you go watch it...

4 comments:

Arthur Dent said...

It never ceases to amaze me, how a late night random internet surf, can wash me up on the shores of old Milliways friend.

Here's to a few hours of nostalgia.

Your old friend Arthur Dent (Mike)
Here's to The Fitzroy :)

Ford Prefect said...

Ford here from 6 years in the future. Arthur jast said "Hi" on my similar blog post because it links to this blog post. The internets may have grown a lot, but we still seem to be able to find each other.

Whatever happened to Chewie and Rincewind?

Cheers,
Ford.

Arthur Dent said...

I was also going to say hi to Vash, but her blog is protected by robots. Or maybe vogons.

Robot Vogons?

Arthur Dent said...

I was going to say hi to Vash too, but her blog appears to be protected by robots. or Vogons.
Robot Vogons?