Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cycling is fun and good exercise

I've just got back from a long lunch, during which I went for a lovely bike ride along the Thames Path from Staines three quarters of the way to Windsor. Why three quarters I hear somebody ask? Well, I wanted to see how far I could get in 25 minutes riding, then stop for 10 minutes to eat lunch and then cycle back.

I have been walking this route and can get from Staines to Runnymede Pleasure grounds in 25 minutes. I've calculated that this is about 3.5 miles there and back - a good healthy walk for lunchtime.

But today I came to work by bike as Staines bridge is temporarily closed to vehicle traffic, see this post for the original fiasco. So I thought I would see how far I would get in the same time by bike.

The Thames Path is great for cycling as it is almost uniformly flat, being by a river, and has beautiful views of the river as you travel. By a quick estimate of my speed, I think I did about 6 miles out, so 12 miles round trip, burning approximately 691 calories according to this calculator

No comments: