Friday, May 12, 2006

Pointless functionality - Part 1

I've called this part 1, because once I have started I am sure I will add more. I was just browsing LinkedIN, if you don't know it, it's a network community site which I have found useful making connections etc.

Anyway, I was looking for a connection in one of my friends networks and browsing through the list my eye was drawn to my own name. Now this wasn't because I love myself and like seeing my name in print, but because LinkedIn have chosen to add a little graphic arrow with the word "you" next to it.

I can just imagine the product meeting that came up at:

"So what new and innovative functionality are we going to add to the site this week?"

"How about we add a little graphic to people's network lists that highlight their own name?"

"Why?"

"Well maybe someone is browsing their friends networks when they are feeling a little insecure and it would be good to see that someone values them, or they could be drunk or maybe they are just having a schizophrenic moment and need reminding who they really are!"

"Sounds cool, that works for me, let's do it"

Maybe I will start a website where people can vote for the stupidest bit functionality on a website...

No comments: